As retirement approaches, you might be considering the possibility of downsizing and/or moving abroad to enjoy your golden years. If you are, then Mexico is certainly one of the better options for American and Canadian retirees as it’s close enough to home for cheap flights and the cost of living is much lower.
In fact properties are so affordable in Mexico that you might even find yourself up-sizing, or at least upgrading, to luxury condos for retirement! There are more than a few benefits to living in Mexico as an ex-pat, but in the interest of giving you all the knowledge that you need to make an informed decision we have made this list of the main pros and cons of living in luxury condos for retirement in Mexico.
- You’ll find that you can keep your independence longer in Mexico; maid, handyman and gardening services are much more affordable here.
- Most luxury condos in Mexico have 24 hour security.
- Facilities will be wheelchair accessible and will most likely include spas, gyms, pools and restaurants.
- You’ll likely be surrounded by a like-minded community with the same ideals as you.
- Maintenance costs will be shared amongst all residents and so will be lower.
- The more luxurious condo complexes will have concierge services, too, so you will be able to get the help and support you need at a moment’s notice.
- No need to take the stairs as most complexes will be on a single level or have elevators at all main access points.
- You will have to pay regular maintenance fees.
- Most apartment complexes will be in the more exclusive neighborhoods and so will not be close to large supermarkets. You may need a car.
- You will not have a personal garden, but you may have access to a communal garden or herb patch.
- There may be limited or charged access to parking when it comes to visitors.